A bulgur wheat salad that is quick and easy to make this Summer, or whenever you fancy something light and refreshing for a meal. This recipe is an easy bulgur wheat salad that can be changed up using different vegetables and proteins to give you new tastes and flavours each and every time.
If you’re new to bulgur wheat, like I was when trying this recipe, it has a similar consistency to cous cous but isn’t as soft. It has more of a bite to it which gives it a great texture and with the addition of almonds, it adds an extra crunch! I love quick and easy recipes because when time is limited or you’re having too much fun in the sun, you want something that doesn’t take too much time in the kitchen.
The vegetables and protein (chickpeas) in the salad do not require any cooking. Simply chop up your vegetables and stir them all together. If you want to try any alternative vegetables, these are great options:
Alternative vegetables to use:
- red pepper
- spring onion
Bulgur Wheat Salad
- 100g bulgur wheat
- 140g canned chickpeas (3/4 can)
- 100g tinned sweetcorn (3/4 can)
- 1/2 red onion (diced)
- salt & pepper to taste
- 15g coriander (about half a packet from Tesco - chop finely)
- Handful of almonds (chop these up)
- 1/2 large orange pepper (red also works, chop small)
- 1/2 Lemon (juiced)
- 1tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Cook the bulgur wheat according to the packet instructions (varieties differ - mine took 12-15 mins on simmer then a let it steam off the heat for 15 minutes)
- Whilst the bulgur wheat cooks, chop all your veggies and make the dressing
- Once the bulgur wheat is cooked (all water should have evaporated, if not drain it off!) mix all the ingredients together and it's ready.
- If you want it all the same temperature (because this is me too...) let it sit in the fridge before serving. Otherwise, eat when done!
Why not try our roasted vegetable and kale salad with creamy tahini dressing. An absolutely delicious recipe, creamy and crunchy with a citrus zing! Another great recipe for your summer BBQ’s. picnics and more!