Cashew cheese sauce is a great alternative for dairy cheese sauce. They create a smooth and creamy texture with a subtle taste. With the addition of some simple but punchy flavours it really brings the sauce to life.
I added broccoli because I find it a great addition to a creamy sauce, and the breadcrumbs on top add a nice crunch. This has been a hit with the family so I hope you enjoy it too.
Do feel free to use other veggies alternatively to broccoli. Chopped kale, peas, or even mixed frozen vegetables would also pair nicely!
- 250g dried macaroni (alternatives: spiral pasta or penne)
- 1 cup (165g) peeled white potato (russet or maris piper style)
- ¼ cup (45g) carrots
- ¾ cup water used to cook the potatoes and carrots
- 1 cup broccoli chopped small
- ½ cup cashews (soak in boiled water for 30-60mins or in cold water overnight)
- ¼ cup light canned coconut milk (you can also use coconut milk or oat milk)
- 2tbsp (heaped) nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 large cloves of garlic
- 1tsp (heaped) paprika
- 1tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper to taste 🙂
- Method: Start by peeling carrots and potatoes, then chop and place into saucepan of boiling water. Cook on hob until cooked through, approx. 10-15mins depending on size of potatoes.
- Put dried pasta into saucepan of boiling water and when ¾ cooked (6-8mins), add broccoli for further 2mins.
- When veggies are cooked, drain water saving ¾ cup for the sauce.
- Drain pasta and broccoli, and place into oven proof dish.
- To a blender, add the soaked cashews, carrots, potatoes, your 3/4 cup if saved water, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, paprika, garlic, pepper, coconut milk (or other milk) and balsamic vinegar.
- Pour creamy cashew cheese sauce over the pasta and stir together. Sprinkle on top a thin layer of panko breadcrumbs. Optional: drizzle with a little olive oil to brown the breadcrumbs.
- Bake in oven for 25 minutes at gas mark 4 / 180c. Serve and devour!
If you make this please tag us in your photos @nutritionandcake on Intagram! We love to see your creations.