A vegan and gluten-free creamy lemon tart. It is zesty, it is creamy and it is deliciously lemony!
I created this recipe after my Mother-in-law requested a sweet treat recipe that has, “no coconut and no chocolate, please!”. I was under orders and I knew just what she needed. She loves lemon and she loves creamy desserts; albeit tiramisu is her favourite. I decided to make a creamy lemon tart and use the lemons from her lemon tree!
This recipe is vegan, dairy-free and gluten-free. When my Mother-in-law tried the recipe she was shocked to hear that the “cream” was actually cashew nuts! She absolutely loved it so I knew that I had to share the recipe.
I would have loved to have added coconut to this recipe but I was under strict orders, “no coconut!”. Next time, I will be creating a coconut and lime tart. I have a raw vegan “key lime-pie bites” recipe which does have coconut in it and I love the combination. The bites are only small and have to be stored in the freezer, whereas this recipe can be kept in the fridge once set.
In terms of nutrient value, these are high in fibre and healthy fats. The recipe requires minimal ingredients and requires no baking, which means it is really simple to make! All you need is a high speed blender or food processer, a baking tray, parchment paper and a grater.
Let’s get into the recipe, I hope you love it.
- 200g Cashews
- 3tbsp Maple syrup
- 1 medium Lemon
- 110mls cold water
- Sea salt
- 140g Walnuts
- 150g Pitted Dates
- 1tbsp Vanilla Extract
- Sea salt
- Start by soaking your cashew nuts and dates in boiling water, and set aside.
- After your dates have soaked for 5-10 minutes, drain them off and then all your pie crust ingredients to a blender. Blend until sticky but not too smooth, you want some bite to your base.
- Press into a lined pie tin and set aside whilst you make the filling.
- Drain your cashews and add into a high speed blender with al your other pie filling ingredients. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Taste here, you can add a little more lemon or maple syrup if desired.
- Pour mix into your pie filling and zest over more lemon zest (not essential).
- Leave to firm up for at least an hour in the freezer, and serve.
- Once it is set, you can store in the fridge or freezer, it is up to you.
You can store this in the fridge or freezer, whichever you prefer.