These chocolate covered oat bars are vegan and gluten-free friendly (just use gluten-free oats). They were a huge success and a recipe that continues to grow on our Facebook account. We felt it was only right that we added it to our list of recipes on here so that you can save, share and pin to your Pinterest boards for later!
The recipe is simple, using just a few ingredients that you may already have on your cupboards at home. The simple recipes are the best, in my opinion. They don’t take long to make, the ingredients are simple and few, and they can be stored for an extended period of time.
These bars are easily transportable and can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week (that’s if they last you the week!). They’re not too sweet, contain natural sugars from the dates and have protein from the ground almonds. We like balance here at “Nutrition and Cake” so we topped them with a thin layer of 70% dark chocolate, only the finest Lindt.
They’re a source of fibre and a great snack with an afternoon cup of tea or coffee.
About the ingredients:
Dates – Natural sugars, high in fibre
Ground almonds – Source of protein and fibre, great for gut health
Oats – Source of soluble fibre, proven to reduce cholesterol
Dark chocolate – Rich in antioxidants, dairy-free and a touch of sweetness
Let’s dive into the recipe and enjoy!
For a full talk through video head to our Facebook page www.facebook.com/nutritionandcake
- 250g Oats (gluten-free if applicable)
- 300g Pitted dates
- 50g Ground almonds
- 3 Level tbsp. Cocoa powder
- Few cracks of Sea Salt
- 110mls Non-dairy milk (We used Alpro soya)
- 75g Lindt 70% dark chocolate (you can use any dark chocolate you enjoy)
- In a food processer, blitz your oats into a powder, then add in all your other ingredients, apart from the dark chocolate.
- Blend together until it is a firm consistency. You don't want the mix too wet or too dry, somewhere in the middle is great.
- Press into a lined baking tray, as shown in the video.
- Melt the dark chocolate and drizzle all over the top of your base.
- Set aside in the fridge for 1+ hour before cutting into 14 pieces.