The ladies at Nutrition and Cake have created the Healthy Chocolate Oat Cookies for a quick and satisfying afternoon snack. These can be enjoyed on their own with a cup of tea, with some yoghurt and berries, or popped into your child’s lunch box.
Nutrition and Cake are all about balance and where possible they make their recipes as healthy as possible without compromising on flavour. The cookies contain a natural sweetness from the banana and have an added sweetness from maple syrup and vanilla extract. The cookies contain a square of chocolate on top for an extra chocolatey fix!
The recipe contain minimal ingredients for ease, speed and health. From start to finish, the cookies can be made in under an hour. The recipe is so easy that the children can get involved too! You only need one mixing bowl, a couple of spoons and a fork.
The ingredients for our Healthy Chocolate Oat Cookies contain:
- Oats for fibre and healthy carbohydrates
- Cocoa for a yummy chocolate flavour
- Banana for natural sweetness and binding properties
- Peanut butter for protein, binding and yummy rich flavour
- Coconut oil to give them a fantastic crunch once cooled
- Maple syrup for an earth sweetness
- Vanilla to balance out the flavours
- Sea salt to balance out the flavours
These chocolate oat cookies are suitable for / can be adapted for:
- naturally vegan friendly
- soy free
- milk free
- gluten-free (use gluten-free oats)
- peanut free (use almond butter as an alternative)
- 1 x medium sized banana
- 100g oats
- 20g (2 level tbsp) cocoa powder
- 54g (2 heaped tbsp) peanut butter chunky
- 35g coconut oil (melted)
- 2tbsp maple syrup
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch sea salt
1. Preheat your oven to 180C (I use a fan oven)
2. Meanwhile, mash the banana in a large mixing bowl and then add the rest of your ingredients (remember: coconut oil must be melted before mixing in). Give a good stir until all combined.
3. Get a tbsp and scoop out two generous tbps. into your hand, roll into a ball, press into cookie shape in your hand, place the cookie on the baking tray. Next, press one square of vegan chocolate into the middle of the cookie to finish.
4. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
5. Allow to cool for around 25 minutes before eating.