Healthy Homemade Muesli Bars – These muesli bar’s are a real treat! A homemade muesli bar that is packed full of goodness. They are a real treat and perfect for snacking on-to-go and to share between the family. Muesli bars are a firm favourite for many and these are a great alternative to shop bought options.
They are easy to make and packed full of nutrition, as well as being super tasty.
Breakdown of ingredients and their benefits:
Nuts and seeds provide a rich source of healthy fats, protein and fibre.
Dried fruits provide a natural sweetness and source of iron and antioxidants.
Oats provide fibre, a healthy source of carbohydrates, keep us fuller for longer and are proven to lower cholesterol.
We use a small amount of coconut oil to allow the bars to bind together. Coconut oil is not a health food but it is used in small amounts that still allow these bars to be healthy and good for us. If you would rather leave out the coconut oil you may find that dates allow the bars to bind together just as well. We opted to leave out dates for this recipe as there is sweetness already coming from the dried fruits and honey.
To make gluten-free and vegan:
To make these bars gluten-free opt for gluten-free oats.
To make these bars fully vegan opt for maple syrup or agave instead of honey.
For dried fruits, we wanted a tropical flavour so opted for dried cranberries, apricots and mango. You could also try using other dried fruits, suitable to your needs.
Let’s get into the recipe and I hope you enjoy!
If you would rather watch the video for how we made these, please visit our Facebook page, here.
- 200g oats (gluten-free option)
- 40g walnuts
- 40g ground almonds
- 25g sunflower and pumpkin seeds (total weight)
- 70g dried fruits (we used cranberries, mango and apricot)
- 130g peanut butter (you can also use almond)
- 75g honey
- 4Tbsp coconut oil
- Add all ingrdients into a blender/ food processor and blend until it starts to bind together. You may have to stop half way through to scrape down the sides.
- Press into a lined baking tray and set in the fridge for at least 1h to set nicely.
- Cut into 12 generous squares and enjoy!