Pumpkin, chestnut and mushroom pie; the perfect winter warmer. This recipe is a real treat for the entire family. The pie is completely vegan and can be adapted to suit your needs! We have had it with both pumpkin and creamy butternut squash, both which work really well. In addition, we have tried it with added carrots as well as brussel sprouts; both work a treat!
The mushrooms add a meaty and earthy flavour, with sweetness from the squash/ pumpkin and the perfect texture from the chestnuts. The pie topping is a no-fuss rolled puff pastry, because no one makes puff pastry! You can also try with a short crust pastry if you wanted to switch it up a bit 🙂
Here we have some pictures which show the cooking process. We find that pictures help guide recipes and we also have a reel on Instagram for further reference!
We use fresh herbs in the pie as the flavours are divine! However, when we have not had them in the house, or wanted to go to the shops, we have used dried mixed herbs. Although these work well, they don’t have the same impact as the fresh herbs but it is entirely your choice!
Let’s get into the recipe and we hope you love it as much as we do!
- 1 Medium Pumpkin OR Butternut Squash (approx. 1kg)
- 2 White Onions
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 350g Mushrooms
- 180g Cooked Chestnuts* (these come in a sealed packed, alternatively you can buy frozen and boil them for 3-5 minutes prior to using)
- 1 Sprig Rosemary**
- 2 Sprigs Thyme**
- 2tbsp. Plain Flour
- 1 heaped tbsp. Tomato Puree
- 1 heapted tsp. Miso Paste
- 300ml Veg. Stock
- 1 x Ready to roll puff pastry
- Olive oil, salt and pepper for seasonings
- Preheat oven to gas mark 4 or 180C
- Cut pumpkin or squash in half, de-seed, peel skin off and cut into cubes
- Place into a baking try, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place in the oven to cook for 40 mins.
- Whilst that is cooking, dice and shop mushrooms, garlic, onion and chestnuts. In addition, remove thyme and rosemary from the stem and finely chop.
- When pumpkin or squash is 10 minutes away from being cooked, add a little olive oil to a pan and cook onions for 5 mins over medium heat.
- Now add your garlic, chestnuts, mushrooms, thyme and rosemary. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove your pumpkin or squash from the oven and add to the veg. mix
- Pour in your veg stock, miso paste and tomato puree. Let bubble for a minute then 1 tbsp at a time stir in the flour. this will thicken the mixture.
- Allow 5-10 mins for the sauce to thicken.
- Pour mixture into large oven dish and cool for 5-10 mins before placing on top the puff pastry. Use any excess to decorate 🙂
- Use milk to lightly brush the pastry before cooking in the oven for approx. 35 minutes.
- When golden, remove from oven and serve !
*If you don't have fresh herbs you can use dried mixed herbs, it works just fine too.
**Cooked chestnuts come in a sealed packet of 180g however, some stores sell them in the frozen section. You just need to boil then for 3-5 mins. before using in this recipe.