Roasted vegetable and kale salad with creamy tahini dressing – This is the perfect recipe to get you in the spirit of Spring/ Summer! It is gluten-free, dairy-free and completely vegan so it is a great base for anyone.
You can enjoy this kala salad recipe as a meal on it’s own or you can enjoy it served as a side dish, at a buffet, or with your favourite grain, bread or protein. It is a versatile dish that can be enjoyed in many ways, to give you ultimate flexibility.
Kale – there are many health benefits of kale which make it a great food to add into your diet! We love kale for it’s flavour but also as it is rich in folate, vitamin K, calcium and fibre! The creamy tahini dressing massaged into the kale salad makes it softer and easier to digest.
Sunflower and Pumpkin Seeds – Rich in antioxidants, vitamin K, fibre, plant-based proteins and healthy fats.
Tahini – creamy tahini is a perfect addition to any plant-based household. It makes any dish super creamy with a savoury kick. Tahini is ground sesame seeds and is rich in healthy fats, vitamin E and calcium, to name a few.
Beetroot – Another nutrient dense food that is packed with antioxidants and fibre. Beetroot’s most common benefit is it’s ability to lower blood pressure and enhance athletic performance.
Now you have seen some images, I hope this helps you for when it comes to making the recipe! I will make this again so I will update the images and context when possible.
For The Salad
- 1/2 Large Sweet Potato (peeled and cubed into small pieces)
- 4 Whole Beetroot (peeled and cubed into small pieces)
- 1 Small Broccoli (sliced into florets and half again)
- 1 bag / 150g Kale (if using fresh whole kale, remove stalks and chop into small pieces)
- 3tbsp Sunflower Seeds
- 3tbsp Pumpkin Seeds
- 1/4 of a Pomegranate (roughly 3tbsp pomegranate seeds)
For the Creamy Tahini Dressing
- 70G/ 4tbsp Tahini
- 4tbsp Water
- 1/2 Lemon
- 1 small garlic clove
- 2tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- Preheat fan oven to 200C
- Remove top and bottoms off the beetroot, peel and slice into small cubes.
- Peel and chop sweet potato into small cubes
- Cut the broccoli into florets and then half again (or to size that you would like)
- Place the beetroot and sweet potato onto a baking tray and drizzle with olive oil and a little salt, pop into your preheated oven on 200C. Roast for 15minutes.
- Remove beetroot and sweet potato and add you broccoli, drizzle over some more olive oil and give a good mix. Pop back into oven for 20 mins.
- Once cooked, remove from oven and set aside to cool down whilst you make your creamy tahini dressing.
- In a small bowl add in your tahini, lemon, garlic, extra virgin olive oil, water, balsamic vinegar and salt. Give a good stir until all combined and creamy. It will split at first but keep mixing!
- In a large bowl put in your prepared kale, removing any heavy stalks (if you have any). Using half of your dressing, pour it over the kale and massage it into the leaves. The ensures the dressing covers all the kale and the kale softens as you massage it. Do this until your kale is all covered and has wilted as it makes it much more enjoyable to eat!
- In a dry frying pan, add your sunflower and pumpkin seeds over a high heat and let them pop away for a few minutes. You don't want to burn them but slightly toasted is great. After a few minutes, remove from the heat and set aside.
- Once the roasted vegetables have cooled, add these to your kale mix and stir through.
- Sprinkle your toasted sunflower and pumpkin seeds over the top of your salad, followed by your pomegranate seeds and lastly your remaining tahini dressing.
- Serve as a main meal or with your choice of extra protein, grains, bread or other. Whatever takes your fancy!
Serve as a meal on it's own or you can pair it with your favourite type of protein, grain or bread if you fancy!