Sesame Noodles with Peanut and Ginger Tofu – this recipe is heavenly! Admittedly we aren’t particularly saucy people. But, we are people who like recipes that taste great and are quick. We also LOVE that although this is a sauce, it thickens up so doesn’t leave your food “soggy”.
This is our first time trying a recipe like this and we are surprised at how great it is! Peanut sauces are absolutely delicious. When visiting California in Summer 2019 we went to a great Vegan restaurant in beautiful Ojai. On the menu they had Vietnamese spring rolls with an incredible peanut sauce. Since then, we have wanted to create our own peanut sauce. This however is slightly different. This isn’t for dipping onto spring rolls, but for cooking through noodles, tofu and veggies.
The mix of textures, sweet and savoury, and hint of spice, make this the perfect combination. To get the true sense of flavours, do follow the recipe exactly! Toasting your sesame seeds releases the wonderful, earthy flavours. The crunchy peanut butter is also key. We made this once when we were out of peanut butter and used almond butter; unfortunately, it wasn’t as great.
Additionally, the sesame oil is key! I don’t believe you would get a true taste of this recipe without it. Hannah introduced Elysia to sesame oil and she has been converted. It is also inexpensive which is a plus. You will find MIRIN in the Asian section of supermarkets. Some people substitute this for rice vinegar but we haven’t tried it with this substitute so we are not sure how this would work.
It is a delicious recipe and one we make over and over again; we are sure you will too!
If you make any of our recipes be sure to tag us @nutritionndcake on Instagram and use the hashtag #nutritionandcake. You guys rock 🙂
Peanut and Ginger Sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 inch piece of ginger, pealed and grated
- 2 tbps tamari
- 3/4 tbsp light miso paste
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp crunchy peanut butter
- 1.5 tbps MIRIN (can be found in the Asian section of supermarkets "sweet rice seasoning")
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 2 spring onions, chopped thinly
- 1 level tsp dried chilli flakes (can adjust to your own liking - this is a mild spice)
- 3 nests of wholewheat noodles
- 5 pieces of baby corn, chopped chunky
- Big handful of long green beans
- 185g extra firm plain tofu (we use TOFOO brand - this works out to just over 1/2 the 280g pack)
- Firstly toast your sesame seeds in a hot dry pan. Fry for a couple of minutes (no oil) until golden and then set aside for later.
- Mix together all the sauce ingredients (we use a measuring jug to do this, but find what works best for you) and add in about 3/4 of your toasted sesame seeds and 3/4 of your chopped spring onions. The left overs are for decoration + extra flavour at the end.
- Whilst making your sauce, pop the kettle on or a pan of water until boiling. Once your sauce is made, add your green beans, baby corn and noodles to a pan and boil for approximately 3 minutes (check the packet of noodle instructions for cooking time). At the same time add your tofu and 3/4 of the sauce you have made to a pan and cook on medium heat.
- When your noodles and veggies combo are cooked drain and rinse with hot water. Stir in the remainder of your sauce to the veggies and noodle mix and set aside until your tofu is cooked. Your tofu should be cooking for about 5 minutes before adding in the noodles and veggies.
- Cook together the tofu mix with the noodle and veggie mix for a further couple of minutes, until hot and combined well.
- Once finished cooking serve in two bowls and top with the remainder of your toasted sesame seeds and spring onions. ENJOY!
When you first do this recipe it might be a bit chaotic getting your timings, hopefully not!! Hopefully the instructions are clear 🙂 But, if this is the case you will know for the future your rhythm and you will get quicker at it. We have this recipe very often!