Winter warming pumpkin pie, the perfect winter warmer. In fact, it is great for all year around! It is full of a rich gravy, creamy pumpkin and hearty chestnuts which means that it is best enjoyed at Autumn/ Winter when the produce is fresh and at it’s best.
The sweetness of the pumpkin and chestnuts mixed with a delicious, rich gravy and meaty mushrooms, it is hard to beat. We pair it with green vegetables such as green beans or broccoli. You could also try it with boiled new potatoes or mashed potato for a truly hearty meal!
- 1 medium sized pumpkin (approximately 1kg) or butternut squash if out of season
- 2 white onions (alternative: 4 x spring onions using the green part only)
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 350g mushrooms
- 1 packet of cooked chestnuts (180g pack)
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1 heaped tbsp. tomato puree
- 1 heaped tsp miso paste
- 300ml vegetable stock
- 1 ready to roll puff pastry sheet
- Olive oil, salt and pepper for seasonings
- Preheat oven gas mark 4 / 180C
- Cut pumpkin in half and remove seeds. Carefully remove skin of pumpkin and chop into cubes
- Place into oven dish and lightly season with salt, pepper and olive oil. Cook for 40mins or until soft
- Whilst that is cooking, dice onions, garlic and mushrooms. Then remove rosemary and thyme from stems and finely chop.
- When pumpkin is 10 minutes from cooked, add a little olive oil to a pan and cook onions over medium heat. Cook for around 5 minutes then add garlic, mushrooms, dried bay leaves and herbs. Cook for a further 10-15minutes.
- Now add in the cooked pumpkin along with the miso paste, tomato puree, vegetable stock and flour. Add the flour a tbsp. at a time to prevent lumps. Simmer until all combined and thick, approx. 10mins.
- Pour mixture into oven proof dish and cool for 10mins. At this time remove puff pastry from fridge, and when 10 minutes is up, remove dried bay leaves and add the pastry on top of the mixture. Use any excess for decorations!
- Brush the pastry topping with dairy free milk (or egg wash), place back in hot oven (gas mark 4/ 180c) for 35-45minutes depending on your oven. Electric tends to cook faster than gas. Just keep an eye out.
- Remove, cut into FOUR and enjoy!
If you create this recipe please tag us on Instagram @nutritonandcake so we can see your photos!